Maike Luiken is the 2022 IEEE Past Chair of the IEEE Member & Geographic Activities (MGA) Board. She is managing director, R&D, at Carbovate, and Adjunct Research Professor at Western University, Canada.
Maike’s career spans academia and industry: from professor to leading the Bluewater Sustainability Initiative, 2006-2013, founding Director, Lambton Manufacturing Innovation Centre, eight years as Dean, Lambton College, with several portfolios: School of Technology, Sustainable Development, and Applied Research. Her strategic leadership and vision led to Lambton College becoming one of the three top Research Colleges in Canada.
Her experience includes serving on multiple Boards of Directors: IEEE, Sarnia Lambton Chamber of Commerce, Nano Ontario, working on three continents and obtaining degrees from the Technical University of Braunschweig, Germany, and the University of Waterloo, Canada.
She is an advocate for sustainable development and is driven to develop and leverage technology to aid global societies achieve a more sustainable planet.
IEEE members, you, are at the forefront of science, technology, and applications development. You are vital to meeting our evolving technological and societal challenges – enabling a sustainable future for all.
Humanity is facing critical challenges:
- Impacts and growing severity of Climate Change,
- Imbalance of access to resources around the globe as expressed through the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs),
- Healthcare technology challenges as evidenced by the Pandemic.
Our responsibility is to enable and develop technical solutions – locally appropriate solutions – share information and knowledge and thought leadership to build our envisioned future.
I commit to support you, the IEEE member, the IEEE volunteer, and our IEEE community by:
- Creating IEEE opportunities to devise technical solutions addressing global and local challenges,
- Practicing ‘Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion’,
- Enabling great IEEE volunteer/member experiences.
I commit to the organization to:
- Grow IEEE’s global impact through increasing collaborative and partnering activities between industry, business, organizations, academia and the IEEE to achieve our common goal: a sustainable planet,
- Establish IEEE as the pre-eminent technical solutions provider for climate change and sustainable development,
- Optimize IEEE operations.
I commit to:
- Fully support and encourage IEEE‘s engagement providing technical solutions to the UN SDGs and to mitigation and adaptation to address the impacts of climate change, and build a ‘global digital technical knowledge commons’.
We, the IEEE members, represent immense human capital. Sharing our ideas, experiences, know-how, knowledge, engaging with others – together we can and will provide technical solutions to our local and global challenges.
For all accomplishments I gratefully acknowledge the collaboration and support from many fellow volunteers and staff members; so many have been instrumental to my being able to be a catalyst of change.
- Championing ‘Local Groups’ to encourage member and non-member engagement
- Co-leading Sustainable Development Joint OU Activities, raising cooperation across
- IEEE and outside IEEE
- Leading ‘Planet Positive 2030’ Initiative
- IEEE Internet Initiative Policy Track Chair
- Five position statements approved by IEEE Board
- Streamlined award/volunteer nomination processes
- Region committee restructuring
- Proposed framework for GSM member grade
- Contributed significantly to streamlining MGA student awards
- Initiated negotiations for “IEEE Canada-TELUS Innovation Award” student competition funded by TELUS: 50,000 CAD/annum/5-years
- Led revitalization, 2006-11
- Organized ~80 seminars/sustainability, 2006-13
- MGA Leadership Award, 2013
- R7 Broughton Award, 2011
As Chair of Ottawa and London Sections, the Sections received:
- RAB Outstanding Large Section Award, Ottawa, 2005
- MGA Outstanding Small Section Award, London, 2011
- MGA Past-VP, Past Board Chair, 2022
- Chair, MGA Strategic Planning, 2022
- MGA VP, Board Chair, 2021
- IEEE Board of Directors, 2018-19/2021
- Chair, IEEE BoD Ad-Hoc, Membership and Dues, 2021
- IEEE App Working Group, 2019-22
- IEEE Joint OU Sustainable Development Ad-Hoc, 2021-22
- Chair, MGA OpCom, 2020
- Co-Chair, MGA/SA/TA Sustainable Development Ad-Hoc, 2020
- TAB/MGA Ad-Hoc Geographic/Technical Activities, 2020
- IEEE BoD Ad-Hoc, New Membership Models/Opportunities, 2019
- Chair, Policy Track, IEEE Internet Initiative, 2017-18
- MGA GUOS, 2018
- MGA MBPAC, 2016-17
- MGA Strategic Direction/Environmental Assessment, 2014-15
- R7 Director/Delegate, IEEE Canada President, 2018-19
- R7 Student Activities Chair, 2003-04, 2012-14
- Director, IEEE Canadian Foundation Board, 2010-13, 2020-22
- Chair, 2006-11
- Founding Chair, WIE, Gold, 2010, PES Chapter, 2010-15
- Chair, 2005
- Student Branch Counselor, 1997-03
- PES Climate Change Technology Group, 2009-14
- Chair, EPEC 2012, 2015
- IEEE-SA, PES, ComSoc, IAS, PELS, YP, WIE