Kazuhiro Kosuge, Professor Emeritus of Tohoku University, is Chair Professor of Robotic Systems at the University of Hong Kong’s Electrical and Electronic Engineering Department. He has been conducting robotics research for more than 35 years, published more than 390 technical papers, and obtained more than 70 patents, which have been transferred to industries.
He has held several IEEE leadership positions including 2020 Vice President of Technical Activities, 2015- 2016 Division X Director, and 2010-2011 President of the Robotics and Automation Society. He has also served in several roles in Japan including Science Officer of the MEXT’s Research Promotion Bureau (2010-2014), and Senior Program Officer of Research Center of Science Systems of JSPS (Japan Society for the Promotion of Science) (2007-2010).
Honors include the purple-ribbon Medal of Honor in 2018 in the name of the Emperor of Japan and the 2021 IEEE RAS George Saridis Leadership Award in Robotics and Automation.
Through my life-long experience with IEEE, I learned the importance of the diversity of Societies/Councils, the diversity of Technical Activities, the diversity of the geographic Regions, and the diversity of IEEE members. I also learned the importance of integrating various activities to advance the mission of IEEE.
The diversity in IEEE has been enriching our activities and has been the foundation of the IEEE’s strength. Meeting the diverse needs makes IEEE a unique and resilient global organization. IEEE is a membership-driven not-for-profit organization and can do what ordinary for-profit organizations could not do.
- I will promote geographic technical activities to meet geographic needs in emerging fields and provide them with connections to the IEEE by exploring the potential of geographic technical activities and technical communities.
- I will promote products and services meeting the needs of regions/countries, which include the translation service of IEEE Xplore contents as a sustainable and scalable business. The final goal is to benefit members whose native languages are not English, to access products and services in their native languages by utilizing recent machine translation technology.
- I will enrich the content for life-long learning and continuing education relevant to industry members, especially in emerging countries and regions by further exploring the potential of IEEE Academy including expanding IEEE Academy in local languages with IEEE member volunteers.
Let’s work together to make IEEE a further global membership-driven technical organization.
As RAS President (2010-2011), I implemented several new systems including significantly reduced RAS membership fees; and RAS fully sponsored Summer School. These contributed to a major growth of RAS membership (total RAS membership: 7,327, 9,627, and 15,837 in 12/2009, 12/2011, and 12/2021, respectively).
As Division X Director (2015-2016), I started Division X Dinner during the IEEE meeting series. This period was difficult for IEEE Directors because the Amendment to the IEEE Constitution and Bylaws was discussed but not favored by the majority of members. The Dinner with invited IEEE leaders helped the members to better understand the proposal and decide how to vote.
As 2020 VP Technical Activities, I established the TAB Ad Hoc Committee on Accelerate Localization/Globalization of Technical Content. Their fruitful work was succeeded by the 2021 TAB Ad Hoc Committee on Language Translation, and a NIC seed grant was awarded for its pilot activity “Testing of Language Translation of IEEE Xplore Content.” The final goal is to benefit members, authors/readers, Societies/Councils, and in particular, practitioners in many parts of the world, whose native languages are not English, to read Xplore content in their native languages.
- Chair, TAB SPC (2021)
- Vice President Technical Activities, IEEE Board of Directors (2020)
- Chair, TAB (2020)
- Chair, TAB Nomination and Appoint Committee (2019)
- Chair, TAB S/C Presidents Forum (2019)
- Member, IEEE SPC (2016)
- Division X Director, IEEE TAB, IEEE Board of Directors (2015-2016)
- Member, TAB (2010-2011)
Robotics and Automation Society (RAS)
- President (2010-2011)
- Chair, Long Range Planning Committee (2008-2009)
- Vice President for Member Activities (1998-2001)
- General Chair, 2015 IEEE International Conference on Mechatronics and Automation
- General Chair, 2009 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation
- General Chair, 2004 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems
- Secretary, 1995 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation